Defenders of Southron Honour, cont.

Posted in Memory by Andy Hall on May 25, 2016

As you may have heard, a judge in Louisville on Wednesday lifted an order protecting the Confederate monument there, allowing the city to proceed with plans to relocate it. Everett Corley, a write-in candidate for the Third Congressional District of Kentucky, isn’t taking it well:

Blank

Corley

Blank

These folks are exactly who you thought they were. Exactly.

_________

Update: Looks like Everett Corley deleted this little bit of nastiness from his Facebook page.  He did, however, leave up the one referring to Ricky Jones as “the black Rasputin from Atlanta.” Stay classy!

_________

Update, June 9: Corley apologized for his comments at a public meeting in Louisville on June 8, almost two weeks after originally making them.

_________

GeneralStarsGray

1. Jimmy Dick said, on May 25, 2016 at 8:51 pm

It will be interesting to watch the Causers finally realize they’ve been totally rejected by the United States. At that point they’re going to be pretty upset that their racist vision of America is disappearing. Some will be upset that their followers are no longer sending them wads of cash to support their lifestyle. Others will be upset that their politics attract few voters.

Some will just be pissed off that they have to live in a nursing home with blacks, Jews, Asians, Hispanics, and maybe even LGBT folks. They’ll bitch about the US government even as that government funds their retirement and healthcare.

In other words, some will just remain ignorant right up to the day they die while others will totally lose it.

• bob carey said, on May 27, 2016 at 2:48 am

Jimmy;
      I wish I could agree with you, but I see the Causers becoming more entrenched in their thinking. I believe they will become emboldened by their support of a certain presidential candidate who has been playing on their fears for almost a year. Win or lose, Trump has tapped into the ignorance of this crowd and I fear there will be a sharp divisiveness in the country for a long time. I hope I,m wrong.

• Jimmy Dick said, on May 27, 2016 at 9:31 am

Oh, they are becoming more entrenched in their thinking. I don’t think they will ever change their minds because they are incapable of learning. What I am interested in is what is going to happen after the election. You are right about Trump tapping into their ignorance as well as their fear. When he loses what will happen?

The thing I see is that this may be a watershed moment. This may be perceived as the last “White Hope” for the Causers. I think that’s why they’re boiling out of the woodwork for this election. If Trump loses and the Democrats taken control of the government, it’s over for the Causers. Their numbers are dwindling via natural attrition of age. Each month sees fewer of them left to spread the lies. That’s where the nursing home comes into play.

Many of them are well past 50. They are the Baby Boomer generation for the most part and that group is hitting retirement. They’re going into the nursing homes and that’s where their final fears will be manifesting themselves. I don’t know if there are any white only nursing homes with that kind of policy. I also think it will be kind of funny that the Causers find themselves depending on others from different races to take care of them.

• bob carey said, on May 27, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Jimmy;
          I’m not as confidant as you are in Trump losing. Right now it doesn’t seem like the Democrats can get their act together. Maybe I,m just pessimistic or maybe I can’t get my head around the idea that this con artist is a major party candidate for the Presidency.
          Based solely on my own observations Trump seems to have alot of younger people in his crowds.
          BTW, you relating the baby boomers and nursing homes made me feel old. LOL I”m 62.

2. Scott Ledridge said, on May 25, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Looks like he replaced it by a strange post about book burners and an inexplicable tie to the tanks in Tiananmen Square image complete with a comment from a person tying the monument fight to preserving the memory of American vets… maybe she means to preserve the memory of those that killed American vets?

• Andy Hall said, on May 25, 2016 at 9:21 pm

It’s a cacophonous mess, yet social media like Facebook is the primary venue of Confederate Heritage these days.

3. H. E. Parmer said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:08 am

Now that’s what I call “Heritage Not Hate!” Would it be petty of me to suggest they relocate the monument to a nice, deep hole in the Mississippi?

4. Leo said, on May 26, 2016 at 10:59 am

Social media, especially Facebook, is littered with bigoted ranting from the neo-confederate/heritage crowd. I’ve found plenty of similar postings and comments relating to the Mississippi flag and confederate monument disputes.

• Andy Hall said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:11 am

It’s a lowest-common denominator sort of forum.

Facebook, in particular, seems to give users a false sense of intimacy, and the immediacy of it encourages people to post things that they would never say out loud if they thought others could hear them. Which of course, they can.

• Leo said, on May 26, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Absolutely!

There’s a group called “Flag for All Mississippians Gulf Coast” who does a good job of capturing screen shots of heritage bigotry in action and sharing it for the world to see.

• Andy Hall said, on May 26, 2016 at 3:55 pm

There’s a blog that went silent for several weeks before the author started posting again, saying he’d been busy having in-depth historical discussions on — wait for it — Craigslist.

Can’t make this stuff up.

5. Ken Noe said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I see that Everett Corley/Corley Everett (he’s run for office using both names) didn’t take it down fast enough to avoid making the Louisville TV news: http://tinyurl.com/gs637cr